Monday, April 02, 2007

Punctus Interrogativus..

I did it! I did it!!

I finished my new book. Eats, Shoots and Leaves (Lynne Truss). Quite an interesting read it turned out to be. I can now proudly gloat as I ask people, what the question mark was called early-on?? (Heh! Heh!) Punctus Interrogativus.

That term is not a figment of my imagination. It is quite true.

The book tells you quite a lot of interesting punctuation origins and other facts of interest like the 'o' in a name like John O' Gaunt, means 'Grandson of'. It also cites hilarious examples of mis-punctuated sentences that convey a meaning that was not intended in the least. It urges the reader to be armed with the punctuation- repair kit (correction ink, spare commas, stops, exclamation marks and the like), and put it to use the minute you see a sign like "Potato's for sale".

Well, I doubt if I will ever turn into a punctuation stickler and climb ladders to correct a stray apostrophe; but it does feel nice to read about little known things like the Punctus Interrogativus and the lady who hated all punctuation marks (Gertrude Stein).

And the fact that I finally finished a book in 2 days.. elation. Pure ecstasy.. :P

1 comment:

Abhimanyu said...

Nice!

By the way, the 'Mc' in McMillan and McDonald means 'son of' (I think).