Wednesday, September 20, 2006

My experiments with fruit

For those of you who panicked, I am not writing a book. :D

Once upon a time when days were a little less hectic and one did not find me staring at a computer for 7 hours a day.... my weight was acceptable. I have noticed, that after I started to work, my weight has increased to quite an extent and has rendered it unacceptable (at least to me...:P). And hence, inspite of my mum claiming that I looked healthy and my grandmum refusing to even consider the fact that I had put on weight, I decided to go on a diet.

Ahem.. I must mention here that I fall into the category of humans who enjoy eating, and hence, the very thought of a diet is quite disheartening.

The minute I said I was dieting, suggestions poured in.. at alarming rates. One acquaintance even suggested a diet where one is supposed to survive only on water (har! har!). I told her that I merely wanted to get rid of some fat, not me (incase she had mis-interpreted the intention).

Anyway, a friend of mine suggested something that seemed practical. She told me to go on a fruit diet. I could eat as much fruit as I wanted to, but nothing else. I was supposed to eat a particular fruit on one particular day of the week (watermelon on monday, bananas on tuesday and so on..). At least she did not tell me to starve.

Thus, the following week saw me embarking on a journey never undertaken before (by me). I started my week with watermelons and finished it with grapes. My sister had the time of her life eating (read eating indecent amounts of food that I like) in front of me, with utmost relish.

By the end of the week, I:

had hardly lost any weight
lost colour from my face (mum)
looked weaker (dad)
put on weight (sister!)
looked extremely weak and tired and had lost loads of weight (grandmum).

And, I had started detesting bananas.

As is evident, the diet went into the list of "Things to be erased from memory" - much to my parents' delight and my sister's dismay. I started to practice yoga and found that a much better means to lose weight.

Some things just refuse to happen... me going on a diet and actually losing some weight seems to be one of them. :D

No comments: