Friday, September 15, 2006

Of Symphony and cacophony..

My sister is a fierce fan of music. Not the kind of music that can soothe the nerves after a long hard day at work, but the kind of music which qualifies more as noise. Everytime she plays some of the tracks she is extremely fond of, I wonder how her ears dont rebel. Mine start squirming in protest. If they had a little more freedom, they would probably have organised a rally..

I have always wondered how she can enjoy the loudest and the most un-melodious music with such enthusiasm. Sometimes the music is tolerable, but the volume is not.

My sister maintains that I dont have an ear for modern music. I maintain that if I listen to that sort of music for very long I will cease to have functional ears.

She laughs at me because I take after my grandfather where music is concerned (Mughal-e-Azam being my all time favorite). I like the kind of music which is calming, melodious, soft. In short, I appreciate music..not noise.

I remember one fine saturday morning, I woke up with a start to see my sister with her walkman, singing in a shockingly low volume. I was just about to congratulate her on this excellent development, when she started to jump up and down and sing at the same time. The activity giving her a remarkable resemblance to a frog in terrible pain. My grandfather who had just returned from his walk, thought the sun had gotten to him. When the fact dawned on him, he went and fetched my mum. It took us a while to convince my grandfather that my sister was not in pain and all that noise she made was actually a song.

He always thought we were pulling his leg.

Some of the songs are actually nice...only till their singer does not start to scream as though he was being subjected touture of the worst kind.

An uncle of mine used to state that There is a very small difference between symphony and cacophony. I wholeheartedly second the statement.

I have noticed about old songs, that the more melodious they sound, the more difficult they are to sing. These are the ever popular kinds. Classics. Most popular songs today seem the easiest to sing. And more the noise, more the popularity. It is disheartening to note that the number of people who appreciate old music is lessening.

Consider the following:
A man singing quite melodiously suddenly starts to howl as though in excruciating pain accompanied by a random hammering of the drums and other objects that are considered musical (!!) instruments.

That pretty much describes one of her favorite songs. We had an argument regarding this once. When she started to play one of the songs to prove a point, I let her be.

I value my ears above opinions. :D

No comments: