Friday, June 29, 2007

17 Pink Shirts.

There seems to be a sudden rise in the number of men wearing pink shirts these days. I thought pink was the all-time woman-ish colour. I mentioned this to my sister who did the following:

1. Stared at me like I had an extra nose.
2. Rolled on the floor, laughing for 7 minutes and some seconds.
3. Told me that after Saif Ali Khan wore pink in Kal ho na ho (and got labeled 'hot'), the "happening" male set of the country has taken it upon itself to do a Khan and get labeled in a similar manner.
4. Also told me (in terms that I shall not list here), exactly how "uncool" and behind the times I was.

NB: With reference to number3., please note that creatures that I noticed wearing pink were nowhere even in the vicinity of "happening". Of course, it may also be that my definition of "happening" is very very different.

I must mention here, that when I say pink, I am not refering to the mild, un-obscene pink that is perhaps, acceptable once in a while. What I am refering to is the shade that is pinnnnnnnnnk, or PINK, if you prefer that. Loud, damaging to the eye, obscene...

I always imagined that my taste in colours is decent. Colours that please the eye (primarily mine), you know. Blue, grey, blue-grey, grey-blue and things of that sort. And everytime I happen to mention this at home, the only person who supports me is my father. (hi five!)

The only other person who shares my taste in colour (or so I like to believe), is my 3-year old neighbour. I think this, because everytime she sees someone wearing an unacceptable colour, she resolutely looks away from the offender and refuses to speak (I like to believe that the reason for this particular behaviour is the colour of the shirt, even though I have seen it happen only twice and both times, the offenders were not men).

I counted 17 pink shirts on my way to work today, 8 of which fell into the highly objectionable PINK category.

What is the world coming to??

3 comments:

Surabhi said...

Well, I am sure Malika hasn't recited about the boy who loved PINK in our class. Perhaps you need to know that!!

Krithika said...

I think she did. Vividly, at that.. :P

Karishma said...

From someone who at one point of time walked into a store and saw only pink.....find those men, they can have mine too!!!!Since anyway they've decided to swing half the way they might as well make it complete and add girly too.